Beer Year in Review #5: It's Mandatory at This Point (2023)






So this is the 5th beer in year review I've done. Another year of challenges and another year of great beer. So what top 5 rocked my world? Let's find out...















#5




Name: Voodoo Ranger Future Hop
Type: IPA
Brewer: New Belgium
ABV:8.0%
Grade: A-
From the Brewer: The future of IPAs is here with a bionic blend of Strata and Lotus hops with tropical notes that will transport your taste buds to the next dimension. 

My Thoughts: New Belgium is usually quality and I haven't had a Voodoo Ranger I dislike. Worth tipping a glass to.



 #4





Name: Eight Point
Brewery: Devil's Backbone
Location: Virginia
Type: IPA
Alcohol Content: 6.2%
IBU: 45
Final Grade:  A-

From the Brewer: Brash American hops balanced with a bright, citrus finish.  This IPA is brewed to be in the spot light.

My Thoughts: Smooth and surprisingly light mouth feel. But not boring at all. I am impressed with Devil's backbone beers. So far I haven't had a bad one. And that's saying something!



#3




Name: Double Dog
Type: IPA
Brewer: Flying Dog
Location: Maryland
ABV:12.0%
Grade: A+
From the Brewer: Wild and untamed, Double Dog is a seductively full-bodied brew with huge citrus hops balanced by robust caramel malt sweetness and subtle alcohol warmth.

My Thoughts: This one will sneak up on you! Delicious flavor and quite a kick. If you are an IPA fan you owe it to yourself to try this beer!


#2


Name: A Hopwork Orange
Brewery: Blue Mountain Brewery
Type: Orange-Infused IPA
Alcohol Content: 7.0%
IBUs: 65
Final Grade:  A+
From the Brewer: An IPA that blends the flavor and aroma of orange peel with a burst of Pacific Northwest Hops.

My Thoughts: Imagine a Blue Moon flavored beer as an IPA. Oh yeah, it's good. Located in Alton, Virginia, USA Blue Mountain Brewery is a cool microbrewery. They make some good beers. After trying this one I am a fan. What more can I say?


#1




Name: Get Bent
Brewer: Parkway Brewing
Type: Mountain IPA
Location: Salem, VA 
IBU: 67
ABV:7.2%
Grade: S
From the Brewer: West Coast style IPA hopped with Cascade, Columbus and Cluster hops.  Flavors of citrus and pine balanced by bready malts.

My Thoughts: Good entry point IPA. Smooth. ---Those were my first thoughts on this beer. After drinking it even more I have become a bigger and bigger fan of it. I'm starting to not enjoy the beers that are sweeter. I prefer a very bitter and hoppy experience. Now this one is not super bitter. Instead it is the perfect mix. Two thumbs up!




So there you go! 5 beers that are well worth drinking if you can get your hands on them. So we are heading into 2024. Will it be a landmark year for beer? Stay tuned!


Comments